VCU School of Dentistry
Dental Hygiene Program Director
Description of Duties:
The VCU School of Dentistry, Department of General Practice is seeking a full-time Faculty to fill the position of Director for the Dental Hygiene Program. The purpose of this position is to inspire student success, provide strong academic leadership, promote innovation and faculty achievement, and foster educational inclusiveness. The Dental Hygiene Program Director is directly responsible and accountable for ensuring the fulfillment of educational goals and objectives, ensuring program compliance through accreditation by the Committee on Dental Accreditation (CODA). In addition, the Dental Hygiene Program director holds the authority and responsibility for all administrative functions of the program as well as supervision of program faculty and students in a collaborative environment. The Dental Hygiene Program Director serves as a liaison with the administration of the School of Dentistry and reports directly to the Department Chair. The program director is also responsible for didactic, preclinical and clinical instruction of undergraduate and pre-doctoral students and participates in student advising, committee assignments, and scholarly activities. The Dental Hygiene Program Director serves as the Chair of Dental Hygiene Admissions, facilitating recruitment and retention of a diverse student body. Additional responsibilities include providing instruction for CPR (BLS) to students and faculty of the School of Dentistry as well as providing continuing education offerings to healthcare professionals. The Program Director will strive for excellence in educating a diverse student population prepared to promote optimum oral health in the community.
Core Responsibilities and Administrative Duties:
- Coordinate program assessment activities on an annual basis
- Faculty and staff supervision- Directs the coordination, and recruitment of faculty and staff including faculty schedules, teaching assignments and evaluations
- Curriculum- provides leadership for program curriculum development, evaluation and revision to ensure student success
- Assess program mission and goals, ensuring alignment with school and university strategic plans
- Assessing, planning and operating program administration. Initiate faculty development.
- Prepare faculty contracts
- Chair the dental hygiene admissions committee-coordination, evaluation and participation in determining admission criteria and procedures as well as student promotion and retention criteria
- Maintain quality assurance to remain compliance with all required agencies, including the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA)
- Maintain communication and work cooperatively with the department chair and Dean of the school
- Serve as representative on school and university committees
- Coordinate budgets and program instructional needs and supplies with the department chair
- Schedule and conduct program meetings
- Serve as an academic advisor
- Serve as course director and provide clinical instruction, maintaining syllabi, grading and the electronic management system
- Provide CPR instruction to faculty, students and staff
- Serve as chair of the dental hygiene class committee and a liaison to the Academic Progress Committee
- Maintain program website and university bulletin
- Master’s degree or higher in dental hygiene education or a related field
- Graduate of a program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation
- Current license to practice dental hygiene
- Certification in local anesthesia and nitrous oxide/oxygen sedation
- Current CPR certification
- Minimum of one year of clinical experience as a hygienist
- Didactic teaching experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills
- A demonstrated potential for leadership
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in college level teaching is preferred
- Completion of a formalized leadership program is preferred
Candidates must apply to this faculty position through the university’s career website at https://www.vcujobs.com to be considered for a faculty position: F04820. For further information about this position, contact Dr. Michael Huband, Search Committee Chair, VCU School of Dentistry, Department of Prosthodontics, at email@example.com
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence. Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
VCU is an urban, research-intensive institution with a richly diverse university community and commitment to multicultural opportunities. Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, Affirmative Action University providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, political affiliation or disability.